Saturday, August 8, 2009

WE DID IT!!!!!

On Thursday afternoon, the phone rang - the phone call we have been waiting for, informing us that Taylor has been formally recognised as hearing impaired and will be eligible for full funding to attend a deaf school or deaf facility. HOORAH!

I have to admit - I wasn't expecting our application to go through so smoothly and it renews my faith in the system; recognising individuals needs, learning styles etc.

Our sincerest thanks to everyone for their support, advice, encouragement.

XXXXOOOO

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations Peta. That is fantastic news!

    Julie H

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just wanted say that I am glad your struggles have produced.

    My daughter has a conductive loss, around the moderate range and wears hearing aids. She does rely on speech, with some basic signs for when she is stressed (stop, slow,

    The funny thing is that by the time she starts school properly (kinder in NSW) next year, she should of had her grommets, fixing much of the problem.

    However we are lucky, she has been accepted to a school for hearing impaired children as the fact remains that her language has not developed for her to get anything out of mainstream. It is a catholic school, and they also accept children with speech delays.

    I will forever be greatful that this option is available for my daughter. The plan is that she will only need one year at the hearing impaired school, before moving to mainstream.

    Anyway, just wanted to wish you luck on your ongoing journey. Your daughter is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete